Award-winning children's app developer L'Escapadou is pleased to announce that their last iPad app, Montessori Numbers, is being featured on the App Store as New and Noteworthy in the Education category. Montessori Numbers is an innovative app that's designed to help kids build solid math foundations.
Based upon the proven Montessori method, kids can now experiment with quantities and numerals, learn their names and visually understand how the decimal system works. Montessori Numbers focuses on numbers from 0-1000 and offers a sequence of guided activities that gradually help children reinforce their skills.
In addition to this feature, Montessori Numbers has been approved by Wired's Geek Dad blog, received a 5-star rating from BestAppsForKids.com and Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Early Childhood Education, University of Maine wrote:
"Montessori Numbers is among the best educational apps for young children I've seen. The pacing is very good and the verbal feedback is very supportive. I like the way the child's action builds upon 1:1 correspondence in counting. I appreciate the color coding of place values and the fact that, in the quantity feature, the child gets feedback for what she/he does without the app refusing to give a wrong answer."
In the majority of public and private schools, children are given abstract symbols as the starting point to learn numbers. They are first taught to count out loud - usually in song format - while being shown how to write the numerals. The problem with this format is that recognizing and writing the numerals and counting to 10 doesn't indicate an understanding of what the numbers mean.
Maria Montessori believed "what the hand does, the mind remembers". By using concrete materials during the early, sensitive years, kids taught in a Montessori environment internalize the basic concepts of mathematics more easily. Montessori Numbers is inspired from several traditional Montessori activities and offers concrete hands-on learning materials that make abstract concepts clearer.
Below are some of the features users will find in Math Activities:
- 1 to 20: Designed to introduce numbers by letting kids associate quantities with numerals and numbers' names
- Quantity: Enables kids to associate quantities to numbers by manipulating units, bars of 10, and squares of 100 to match a given number. Kids can freely experiment with quantities to visually understand how the decimal system works, which means they're doing addition and subtraction
- Numerals: Number names are to be associated with numerals. As a number name is pronounced, kids are invited to build the corresponding numeral. Kids can freely experiment with numerals and hear the names associated with each one built
- Numerals from Quantity: In this activity, a quantity is to be associated with a given numeral. Using numerals, kids must build the number that matches the quantity displayed
- Each activity offers three levels of increasing complexity (0-9, 10-99,100-999 or 1-5, 1-10, 11-20 for the first activity)
- The app can pronounce any number between 0 and 1009 - American, British and Australian voices are available. In each activity, each number made is automatically said by the app
- Six material skins: wood cubes, beads, cupcakes, diamonds, flowers and cars
- Targeted for children ages 3-7
- Bonus Building Game Activity where kids can play freely with the materials, allowing them to become familiar with them
Pierre Abel, founder of L'Escapadou, said, "We're very pleased by this feature and first reviews. As for our previous successful Montessori-inspired apps, we put all our efforts in adding smart behavior, interactivity and verbal feedback to the Math activities so kids can learn autonomously while having fun."
Montessori Numbers Adheres to Common Core State Standards in the Following Domains:
- Counting and Cardinality (K.CC)
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking (K.OA, 1.OA.1/2/5)
- Number & Operations in Base Ten (K.BNT,1.NBT.1/2/4/5/6, 2.NBT.1/2/3/5/8/9, 3.NBT.1/2).
Montessori Numbers 1.1 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Journalists and bloggers interested in a promo code, further information, developer interviews or additional assets should contact L'Escapadou via email.