Award-winning children's app developer L'Escapadou announces the release of Montessori Numbers, an innovative app designed to help kids build solid math foundations. Based on the proven Montessori method, kids can now experiment with quantities and numerals, learn the names and visually understand how the decimal system works. The Montessori Numbers app focuses on numbers from 0-1000 and offers a sequence of guided activities that will help children reinforce their skills.
In the majority of public and private schools, children are given abstract symbols as the starting point to learn numbers. They are first taught to count out loud - usually in song format - while being shown how to write the numerals. The problem with this format is that recognizing and writing the numerals and counting to 10 doesn't indicate an understanding of what the numbers mean.
Maria Montessori believed "what the hand does, the mind remembers". By using concrete materials during the early, sensitive years, kids taught in a Montessori environment internalize the basic concepts of mathematics more easily. Montessori Numbers is inspired from several traditional Montessori activities and offers concrete hands-on learning materials that make abstract concepts clearer.
Below are some of the features users will find in Math Activities:
- 1 to 20: Designed to introduce numbers by letting kids associate quantities with numerals and numbers' names.
- Quantity: Enables kids to associate quantities to numbers by manipulating units, bars of 10, and squares of 100 to match a given number. Kids can freely experiment with quantities to visually understand how the decimal system works, which means they're doing addition and subtraction.
- Numerals: Number names are to be associated with numerals. As a number name is pronounced, kids are invited to build the corresponding numeral. Kids can freely experiment with numerals and hear the names associated with each one built.
- Numerals from Quantity: In this activity, a quantity is to be associated with a given numeral. Using numerals, kids must build the number that matches the quantity displayed.
- Each activity offers three levels of increasing complexity (0-9, 10-99,100-999 or 1-5, 1-10, 11-20 for the first activity)
- The app can pronounce any number between 0 and 1009 - American, British and Australian voices are available
- Six material skins: wood cubes, beads, cupcakes, diamonds, flowers and cars
- Targeted for children ages 3-7
- Bonus Building Game Activity where kids can play freely with the materials, allowing them to become familiar with them
Several beta users of Montessori Numbers positively responded to it, saying:
"This is a great app concept! I love the versatility of working with numbers in multiple approaches." - Courtney D
"This app is great for learning number names, connecting symbols and associating quantities. It's easy to use and is free of background distractions." - Amanda S
"All in all, the concept behind the Montessori Number Theory is wonderful and educational. The use of Numbers and Symbols is a great way for any child to memorize and compare." - Dina Maria K
Pierre Abel, founder of L'Escapadou, said, "We're very pleased by the feedback from our beta users. As for our previous successful Montessori-inspired apps, we put all our efforts in adding smart behavior, interactivity and verbal feedback to the Math activities so kids can learn autonomously while having fun."
Montessori Numbers Adheres to Common Core State Standards in the Following Domains:
- Counting and Cardinality (K.CC)
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking (K.OA, 1.OA.1/2/5)
- Number & Operations in Base Ten (K.BNT,1.NBT.1/2/4/5/6, 2.NBT.1/2/3/5/8/9, 3.NBT.1/2).
Montessori Numbers 1.0 is $2.99 USD - or equivalent amount in other currencies - and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Journalists and bloggers interested in a promo code, further information, developer interviews or additional assets should contact L'Escapadou via email.