AccAssociates, a developer of applications for iPhone, announced today its intuitive Tampon Minder 1.1.01 phone app. Leaving tampons in for more than the manufacturer's recommended duration can cause serious health issues including, in rare cases, death from Toxic Shock Syndrome.
While people may think 'how could this possibly be a problem,' the fact is OB/GYNs and emergency room doctors see women in dire circumstances due to tampons left in too long all the time. In fact, the man who created the app, Cesar Jimenez Lithgow, did so after seeing his 24 year old daughter rushed to the doctor with serious pelvic inflammation. She, like many other busy women, simply forgot to remove her tampon in a timely manner and only realized the problem when she began experiencing pain and discomfort. By this time, the tampon had begun to disintegrate and required a doctor to effectively remove it. It also required her to be monitored for the following 48 hours due to the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Tampon Minder is a tool that keeps women informed and in control of their tampon placement. This simple and intuitive app maintains a two-way communication with women while on their menstrual cycle. To use, women start by selecting the number of days their cycle usually lasts. The app will then monitor and interact with them through the duration of their complete cycle ensuring they don't forget to remove or replace a tampon.
"Toxic Shock is serious business and this issue is not limited to young women who have just begun to menstruate," said Jason Gooch, MD, a board-certified OB/GYN in Austin, Texas. "It really is very important for all women to be aware of tampon placement times and an app like Tampon Minder is a great way to help them do so. I would recommend this to my patients."
* Helps prevent unnecessary emergency room and/or OB/GYN visits due to forgotten or misplaced tampons
* Complete monthly cycle stats, days in cycle, tampons used, average time between changes and more
* Discrete timer with options for sound messages and/or images
* Snooze button to delay action until a more opportune time
* Night mode to keep monitoring with no sound
* Default and user control settings to better personalize your experience
* End of cycle screen so you may add additional unexpected menstruation days
* Pad/Other button to pause app while not using a tampon during the cycle
* Countdown and Count-up timers with color-coded distinctions to facilitate your understanding of your usage
"I created the Tampon Minder Application because I could not bear the thought of another dad waking up to know his girl could die of shock over something so trivial as forgetting a tampon," said Cesar Jimenez Lithgow.
Tampon Minder 1.1.01 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Health & Fitness category. For more information go to Tampon Minder online.