Fans of Star Trek(TM) can now play Mr. Spock's Vulcan harp with a new iPad app. The app, a replica of the unique musical instrument that Captain Kirk's First Officer played on the original Star Trek TV series, was developed by Shiverware and is officially licensed by CBS Interactive, Inc.
The Star Trek(TM) Vulcan Harp features:
* 15 vibrating strings - each identified, making it easy to play songs
* 5 instrument sounds - from futuristic to the classic harp
* Large 6-and-a-half octave range in 5 octave banks
* Multi-level distortion and reverberation custom controls
* The ability to select pentatonic scale (five notes per octave)
* One button background arpeggio (sequence chords)
* Rich, inlaid wood detail on harp and moving starfield background
* Sound Cloud recording/sharing
The Star Trek(TM) Vulcan Harp app was created by Shiverware, a Saskatchewan company specializing in interactive software development. Brett Park, Lead Developer, said, "What sets this app apart from the other musical apps we've built is the application's pure beauty and fan following. We hope Trekkers will love it, but musicians will also get a kick out of it." Lead Designer Mishayla Kapell adds, "We felt it was important to maintain the integrity of the original design while incorporating functional, sleekly styled controls to give iPad users the intuitive interaction they expect."
Katherine Kelly, a long-time Trek fan, had approached Shiverware with the idea. "I've always wanted to own a Vulcan harp, but the prop-style harps are either decorative or just have acoustic strings, and they rarely come up for sale. A digitized Vulcan harp with working dials is not only cool but, dare I say, logical."
The app produces a wide-range of sounds - from traditional harp tones to spacey, 23rd century music.
Star Trek (TM) Vulcan Harp 1.0 is $1.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Entertainment category.