934,047,733 downloads as of April 11, 2009, 10:54 AM EST and counting. The App Store is rapidly closing in on its 1 billionth download and to celebrate, Apple is giving anyone who downloads an app the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card, an iPod touch, a Time Capsule, and a fully-loaded MacBook Pro.
If you consider that the total number of downloads was approximately 800,000 about a month ago, then App Store shoppers are closing in on the magic figure faster than a bullet with a tail wind.
Check Apple iTunes Web site to view the countdown timer read the official rules. There's a limit of 25 entries per person, per day. You must be at least 13 years old. The contest ends with the download of the billionth app.
You don't have to buy an app to enter the competition— fill in the entry form — but why wouldn't you? Just go to the iTunes Store, browse the App Store, and download your best app yet.
All-Time Top 10 Paid Apps
- Crash Bandicoot Nitro--Vivendi Games
- Koi Pond--The Blimp Ilots
- Engimo-Pangea Software
- Bejeweled 2--PopCap Games
- Moto Chaser-Freeverse
- PocketGuitar--Shinya Kasatani
- Flick Fishing--Freeverse
- TETRIS--Electronic Arts
- Texas Hold'em--Apple
All-Time Top 10 Free Apps
- Google Earth--Google
- Pandora Radio-Pandora Media
- Tap Tap Revenge--Tapulous
- PAC-MAN Lite--Namco Networks America
- Backgrounds--Stylem Media
- Touch Hockey: FS5--FlipSide5
- Labyrinth Lite Edition--John Haney Software