1. When did you start developing apps for the iPhone?
Ed Lea: I downloaded the SDK when it became available. Unfortunately I wasn’t accepted on the initial beta programme so couldn’t start testing on a real iPhone or submitting applications to Apple until July.
2. What was the inspiration behind your app?
Ed Lea: TV Plus is the second iPhone application I’ve got in the App Store. After “Over Here”, my first application, was released I was chatting to friends, talking about applications we wanted on our iPhones. As soon as we started talking about TV listings with Sky+ Remote Record it was pretty clear what I had to do.
3. How did you settle on your price point for the app?
Ed Lea: The current price is around the pint of beer mark. Talking to friends we thought that felt right.
4. Roughly how many units have you sold?
Ed Lea: TV Plus has only been on iTunes for 2 days but it’s the 24th most popular app for sale in the UK at the moment so I’m pleased.
5. How did you like the developer tools provided in the iPhone SDK? Is there anything missing?
Ed Lea: There are lots of things that aren’t there. But then there are lots of things not there on pretty much every platform and technology. This is good because it challenges people to think a bit harder and come up with clever solutions to problems.
6. Is your company privately owned? Venture backed?
Ed Lea: It’s just me, at weekends.
7. What are some of the other iPhone apps that you like?
Ed Lea: Over Here, but then I’m a little biased. Living in London TubeStatus is pretty handy and I enjoy iFooty.
8. What kind of features should Apple implement in future versions of the iPhone / SDK?
Ed Lea: Time travel and/or teleportation would be fun. I’ve never been very good at second-guessing Apple though so I’m not going to hold my breath.
9. What’s the development cycle for iPhone apps like?
Ed Lea: I spend a lot of time thinking about what an application needs to do, how it should look and how a user will interact with it. When I’ve got a decent idea of that I open up Xcode.
10. Are you working on any other apps that you will be releasing soon?
Ed Lea: I’m currently working on the first update for TV Plus – there are a few enhancements and features people are consistently asking for already. I’ve got a couple of other ideas I’m working on when I get time. And I’ve got some really big ideas that would require more than my weekends to implement and probably some VC backing.