Ian Kelley of DoApp, Inc took time to answer our questions about developing applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch. DoApp is the team behind six apps including myAnswers, myBigAlarm, myColorWave, myLighter, myLite Flashlight and myTo-Dos.
1. When did you start developing apps for the iPhone?
Ian Kelley: We began in April of 2008
2. What was the inspiration behind your app?
Ian Kelley: We really felt that people with poor eye sight can’t see the clock and wanted something that would let you customize your alarm. It’s great to remind you what to do that day right when you wake up or when your kids leave you a funny message to wake up to.
3. How did you settle on your price point for the app?
Ian Kelley: All of our apps are intended to be less than a cup of gourmet coffee.
4. Roughly how many units have you sold?
Ian Kelley: Don’t know yet.
5. How did you like the developer tools provided in the iPhone SDK? Is there anything missing?
Ian Kelley: We have started to build our own designs and utilize stuff to make the user experience even easier.
6. Is your company privately owned? Venture backed?
Ian Kelley: Privately Owned
7. What are some of the other iPhone apps that you like?
Ian Kelley: Well DoApp apps of course. We like anything that makes life easier but fun is good too!
8. What kind of features should apple implement in future versions of the iPhone / SDK?
Ian Kelley: Background processes are a must!
9. What’s the development cycle for iPhone apps like?
Ian Kelley: More intense than we thought. It will only get better over time.
10. Are you working on any other apps that you will be releasing soon?
Ian Kelley: We’ve got a few coming soon that will be exciting and fun for all.