AppCraver recently spoke with Jedidiah Laudenslayer, the developer of MyMemory. He answered our questions about developing apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
1. When did you start developing apps for the iPhone?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: I jumped on the bandwagon when the SDK was still in beta.
2. What was the inspiration behind your app?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: I had downloaded so many cool wallpapers but I had no reason to look at them.
3. How did you settle on your price point for the app?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: I wanted to keep it cheap but still make a decent profit for the work I put in.
4. Roughly how many apps did you sell in the first month of operation?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: Well, I am here at the end of week 1 in the app store and I sold 71.
5. How did you like the developer tools provided in the iPhone SDK? is there anything missing?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: It’s a nice kit. I found it easy to work with and it didn’t take me too long to get something out of it. Now that I am getting used to it it’s all I wanna code in. I wish there was a way to grab images from the image library directly. My original intention was to have the game choose images randomly from a specified folder in your image library.
6. Is your company privately owned? Venture backed?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: One man band here at the moment. If it becomes lucrative that will probably change though.
7. What are some of the other iPhone apps that you like?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: Critter Crunch, Endless walls, Numba, Units, Lumina, Koi Pond, Bibles2GO
8. What kind of features should apple implement in future versions of the iPhone / SDK?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: Haven’t really thought about that too much. I am too busy playing with what is already there.
9. What’s the development cycle for iPhone apps like?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: I am a very fly by the seat of my pants developer. These kind of questions always feel awkward to me. I see code as art and I like to let it form as I go. I think of what I want to build and let the code form in my head. It’s like sketching you write something out that works then you break it down till it’s irreducibly complex. I’m not even sure if that answers your question.
10. Are you working on any other apps that you will be releasing soon?
Jedidiah Laudenslayer: Many ideas in progress, nothing coming out too soon. I will probably add more features to MyMemory before I really get into anything else. I would like to add “image playlists” and make it so you can swap out images that are active in the game without losing your game progress.