Want to type Malayalam in WhatsApp? Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app in the world, with over 2 billion users. Many WhatsApp users want to be able to type in their native language, like Malayalam, instead of English.
The advanced features of WhatsApp are now making all of that possible in a few clicks. Yes, now you can change your typing in Malayalam. This article will provide a step-by-step guide for how to enable Malayalam typing in WhatsApp on both Android and iOS devices. It’s quite easy. Let’s get you started right away!
How To Type Malayalam In WhatsApp On Android?
You just have to follow a few simple steps to enable Malayalam typing on your Android device!
Step 1: Download And Install Google Indic Keyboard
To enable Malayalam typing on your Android smartphone, the first step is to download and install the Google Indic keyboard. Here is how to do it:
- Open the Play Store app on your Android device. You can find it in the app drawer or home screen.
- In the search bar, type ‘Google Indic Keyboard’ and tap enter. This will bring up the keyboard app.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button to download and install the app. The size is around 12MB.
- Once installed, open the app from the home screen. Review the permissions requested and tap on ‘Allow’ to grant the required permissions.
- In the app, tap on ‘Get Started’ and then enable the toggle for ‘Malayalam typing’ under the languages list. This will activate the Malayalam keyboard.
Step 2: Set Google Indic As The Default Keyboard
After installing the Google Indic keyboard app, you need to set it as the default keyboard for typing in WhatsApp. Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > System > Languages & Input > Virtual keyboard.
- Under ‘Available virtual keyboard,’ tap on ‘Manage keyboards.’
- Locate and enable the toggle for ‘Google Indic Keyboard’ in the list.
- Tap on the ‘Google Indic Keyboard’ option and select ‘Set as default’ on the next screen.
Now, your default keyboard is set to Google Indic, which has Malayalam enabled.
Step 3: Type In Malayalam
To start typing in Malayalam in WhatsApp:
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the text box in any chat window to bring up the keyboard.
- Long press on the space bar key and select “മലയാളം” as the input language.
- You can now type words phonetically in English [also known as Manglish] and get the matching Malayalam script words as suggestions.
- Select the appropriate suggestion to input the text in Malayalam.
Tips For Easier Malayalam Typing
Here are some tips to type more easily and accurately in Malayalam using the Google Indic keyboard:
- Make use of the word suggestions are given right above the keyboard. This saves time compared to typing the entire word.
- Try the speech-to-text or voice typing feature by tapping on the mic icon. It can recognize Malayalam words spoken in your voice.
- If you are not getting the right word suggestions, try splitting the word into smaller parts or roots. The suggestions are based on phonetic matching.
- Refer to the digital Malayalam script on the left side keys to directly type letters like ക, ഖ, etc.
How To Type Malayalam In WhatsApp On IOS?
iOS devices like iPhones also make it easy to set up and type in Malayalam in WhatsApp.
Step 1: Add Malayalam Keyboard
To add the Malayalam keyboard to your iPhone:
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard.
- In the list of language keyboards, select “Malayalam” by tapping on it.
This adds the Malayalam keyboard, which you can switch to for typing.
Step 2: Enable Full Access To The Keyboard
For a seamless typing experience, enable full access to the Malayalam keyboard:
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Full Access.
- Turn on the toggle for ‘Full Access’ for the Malayalam keyboard.
Step 3: Switch Between Keyboards
To switch to the Malayalam keyboard:
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the text box to bring up the keyboard.
- Tap on the globe icon visible on the keyboard.
- Select “Malayalam” from the list of active keyboards.
You can now directly type the Malayalam script using the native iOS keyboard.
Step 4: Use Transliteration
If you prefer to type in English phonetically:
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Malayalam > Transliteration.
- Enable the ‘Malayalam Transliteration’ option.
Now, you can type words as pronounced in Malayalam and get matching Malayalam script words.
Tips For Typing Fluently
Here are some tips to help you type faster and more efficiently in Malayalam on WhatsApp:
Save Common Phrases
- Use text replacement and autocomplete features to save common phrases and names.
- This allows you to type long Malayalam sentences easily by just typing a short trigger.
Use Stickers and Emojis
- Malayalam stickers and emojis available on the Play Store and App Store make conversations richer.
- You can find free sticker packs by searching for ‘Malayalam stickers’ on the app stores.
- Enable automatic spell correction in your keyboard settings.
- This fixes typos and spelling mistakes instantly as you type.
Predict Next Word
- Turn on predictive text and next-word suggestions on your keyboard.
- It will try to guess and fill in the next word based on the sentence context.
In summary, WhatsApp provides seamless support for typing in regional languages like Malayalam on both Android and iOS platforms. On Android, use the Google Indic keyboard, while on iPhone, add the Malayalam keyboard with transliteration enabled.
Make use of the specialized keyboard features, stickers, and spell check to have fast and intuitive conversations in Malayalam. With these steps, Malayalis around the world can stay connected with family and friends in their native language.